Skip to main content

Blog Launch!

Welcome to A League of Her Own!

Allow me to introduce you to The Home Team.

The General Manager:
I am a wife. A mother. A proud Cleveland Sports fan. My family - those that comprise The Home Team and beyond mean everything to me. I am a former teacher. I miss the little first graders I used to share my days with, but wouldn't trade how I spend my days now for anything. I love to cheer on the hapless Cleveland sports teams. They let you down year after year, but really - if you won all the time, what would be the fun in waiting "until next year?" If you haven't already noticed, my blog will carry a pretty heavy baseball theme. My favorite sport of them all.


The Head Coach:
The HC is one of those people who is good at everything they try. He does electronics. He does carpentry. He does cake decorating. He does music. He does sports. He cleans. He fixes. He heals. Did I mention he is the most wonderful father and husband?



The All Star:
She completes our world. The AS is a smart, funny little lady. Her favorite things are Elmo (even though we are a non-TV watching before a certain age family) and ladybugs. She's a tall skinny little thing but eats almost every meal like it is her last. Someday she'll thank me for the good metabolism but right now we just want her to weigh enough when she turns two to be able to turn around in the car!

The Mascot:
Our beast of a weimaraner. She is a crazy (with a capitol C) dog. She was our first baby and grew very attached to us. We were worried when the All Star came along that the dog would not handle it well. They are the best of friends and we couldn't ask for more. Like all mascots, this one will likely only be able to contribute support and a cheering section to the blog. But she's part of the family, so she's included!

Everyone, right down to the dog, helps everyone else on this team feel happy, loved, secure and safe.

Now that you know who we are, how about what we are doing jumping into the pond that is the blog world? I belong to a close knit online community of mothers. We started as a small group when planning our weddings and expanded when we started having children. The women I share that community with have given me immesurable amounts of advice, support, and friendship. I know that most of them would say the same. Being part of such a large group of women has also made me realize how different everyone's opinions are. I know that I have a lot to say about the things that make my life as a mom easier. However, I felt it didn't have to end there. My husband has strong opinions too. I hope that my daughter will one day as well. And my dog... well, just wait until you get to know her. She might be the strongest willed of all of us. The long and short of it is, I would like to create a place where parents and non-parents alike can come to gain information on a variety of topics.

I hope to include:
  • product reviews
  • crafts
  • recipes
  • guest posts from other moms
  • stories about my life as a mom
  • stories from the HC about his life as a dad
  • giveaways
Okay, enough with my rambling. Let's just dive in. Without further ado:

Play ball!

Comments

Kim said…
Cute GM!! :) Love the new blog!!
Cole said…
Thanks for checking out my blog!

My daddy likes to visit Cooperstown because there is a brewery right near the baseball museum!

The All Star is supercute! And Henry wants to play with the mascot. :)
It is nice getting to know you and your family. I cannot wait to read more of your posts. Thanks for stopping by today to enter my giveaway. The Minnie Mouse pillowcase dress will look adorable on your daughter! Good luck!
lake breeze said…
Cute, I just started a new blog also.

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Party {Supergirl Theme} {Soup Theme}

Our youngest celebrated her first birthday last week.  When planning her party we decided we wanted to have a soup party, which we would call 'SOUPer.'  The Supergirl theme was then born from that.  It turned out to be pretty fun.

The food was yummy!  We offered five kinds of soup which we kept warm in crock pots.  To accompany the soup, we had nine varieties of bread, plus oyster crackers, goldfish crackers, bread sticks, and a cracker/cheese tray.  We also put out some veggies and dip. We had Stormy Day Ham Bean Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Rivel Soup, Black Bean Soup, and Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup.



Aside from your usual party beverages (all non-alcoholic - we were in a church!), I got to use my brand new Crate & Barrel drink dispenser for a tasty punch.  I got that recipe from Pinterest.  I'll be honest; the only reason we had punch was so I could use my drink dispenser!



My husband made the big cake and the smash cake.  Thanks to my brother and his wife …

Polka Dot Birthday

When we switched my daughter from Pampers to Target diapers, she was quite pleased. She'd run around yelling "Polka dot diapy!" So we figured that would be a fun (and easy!) birthday party theme. It was!

We started with the invitations. I love Evite. It is free, saves on postage, allows immediate RSVP options, and even lets the sender know when guests have viewed the invitation. Even better they had a birthday invite with a polka dot background! We thought up a fantastically literary poem about birthdays and polka dots and sent the invitation out.

Decorations were easy too. I bought $5 worth of poster board, found four dishes in different sized circles and started tracing. Cutting turned out to be the hard part. I had almost 100 circles when all was said and done and my hand was significantly cramped/blistered to prove it. We found perfect polka dot table clothes at Old Navy during their 30% weekend and my mom bought 3 dozen daisies in beautiful bright colors.…

DIY: T-Shirt Quilt

After I graduated from college, I made a t-shirt quilt with the t-shirts from my sorority.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I chose my shirts and some quilt fabric that matched to make the border.  I do love the way it turned out, but it was not without challenges.  I had no idea how to sew knit t-shirt material.  Despite what the picture shows (or doesn't!) most of the shirt squares are pulled in the corners.



My second attempt went much better!  I decided to make a quilt for my brother's birthday.  He's transplanted to Denver, and I always like to make him feel homesick nostalgic.  I bought a pattern from Maiden Jane.  I had several questions that she happily answered through e-mail.  Then I was off and sewing.  I completed the quilt with relative ease.  The final product was just what I imagined and I knew my brother would love it!


When I make the next quilt, I may merge the wonderful pattern I used this time with some of my favorite things about the first quilt I made…