Thursday, September 29, 2011

Recipe: One-Ingredient Banana "Ice Cream"


You read that correctly.  There is only one ingredient in this yummy treat.  It is very easy and obviously healthy compared to the Moose Tracks in your freezer.  I originally found something similar on Pinterest, but didn't want to use cocoa powder, so I did a little Googling which turned up this recipe and excellent step by step instructions

First, take your bananas and slice them about 3/4 inch thick and place on a freezer safe dish.  I used 3 extra ripe bananas which provided 2 1/2 servings.  Place the dish in the freezer for at least one hour.  You want the bananas to be fully frozen.  Mine were in for about 3 hours.


Place frozen bananas in your choice of small appliance.  I used my blender, but next time I think I'm going to try the food processor.  The first pulse with the frozen bananas is loud!  Warn the children in the room it's coming.  Also, if you are a fan of Dippin' Dots, you can just stop right here and dish the bananas up.  It looks just like that!

If Dippin' Dots aren't your thing, keep going!  The remaining process takes awhile, but you will be rewarded.  Puree, scrape sides, puree, scrape sides, puree, etc.  You have to do the steps over and over.  Don't give up!  Keep at it.  The first time we tried this, I almost stopped because I thought I must be doing it wrong.  Just keep scraping the sides down.  It will eventually turn into a creamy, cold, banana "ice cream" with soft-serve consistency.  Yum!

I forgot to take progress pics.  It wasn't quite this melty when we dished it out.

All Star #1, what do you think??


We preferred the ice cream plain, but you could add cocoa powder, peanut butter, Nutella, Biscoff, or top with chocolate sauce.  Go crazy and enjoy!

0 comments: