Thursday, January 5, 2012

DIY: Fabric Flowers

Recently we had our family photos taken.  The color combination I chose for our clothes had my girls wearing navy blue, so I wanted to do something to make their outfits more feminine.

My first thought and shopping trips were aimed at making felt flowers, but I just couldn't get the color right.  I came home and researched fabric flowers instead.  Cluck Cluck Sew had exactly what I was looking for.  I made a pin for my older All Star who won't wear anything in hear hair.  All Star 2 got a flower on a headband.

Flower pin method - I cut fabric scraps into circles starting with the smallest first.  I used a nickel as a guide to cut the first one.  Then I used each of those circles to guide cutting a bigger circle until I was satisfied with the overall size of the flower.  I attached a felt circle (cut a bit smaller than the biggest circle) to the bottom of the flower with fabric glue.  Then I picked a coordinating button to sew in the center and secure all the circles together.

I decided to actually just baste stitch the flower onto my daughter's sweater because it was fairly large and I didn't want it flopping over.  Next time I would probably sew each fabric layer together with a couple stitches.

Flower headband method - I drew a rough shape of a petal to use as a pattern.  Next, I cut petals out of the same fabric scraps. I also cut two identical felt circles out of a coordinating color of felt.  I sewed the fabric petals onto one of the felt circles by overlapping them and then moving in a spiral.  When I was done, I sewed the matching button from the flower pin into the middle.  Lastly, I glued the two felt circles together around a pre-fab headband.
I love this smooshy face.
I adore the way the flowers turned out and think they gave just the right feminine touch to our family photographs! (Photo below is © Tamarie Photography - Do no copy w/o permission.)




0 comments: