Skip to main content

DIY: Fabric Flowers

Recently we had our family photos taken.  The color combination I chose for our clothes had my girls wearing navy blue, so I wanted to do something to make their outfits more feminine.

My first thought and shopping trips were aimed at making felt flowers, but I just couldn't get the color right.  I came home and researched fabric flowers instead.  Cluck Cluck Sew had exactly what I was looking for.  I made a pin for my older All Star who won't wear anything in hear hair.  All Star 2 got a flower on a headband.

Flower pin method - I cut fabric scraps into circles starting with the smallest first.  I used a nickel as a guide to cut the first one.  Then I used each of those circles to guide cutting a bigger circle until I was satisfied with the overall size of the flower.  I attached a felt circle (cut a bit smaller than the biggest circle) to the bottom of the flower with fabric glue.  Then I picked a coordinating button to sew in the center and secure all the circles together.

I decided to actually just baste stitch the flower onto my daughter's sweater because it was fairly large and I didn't want it flopping over.  Next time I would probably sew each fabric layer together with a couple stitches.

Flower headband method - I drew a rough shape of a petal to use as a pattern.  Next, I cut petals out of the same fabric scraps. I also cut two identical felt circles out of a coordinating color of felt.  I sewed the fabric petals onto one of the felt circles by overlapping them and then moving in a spiral.  When I was done, I sewed the matching button from the flower pin into the middle.  Lastly, I glued the two felt circles together around a pre-fab headband.
I love this smooshy face.
I adore the way the flowers turned out and think they gave just the right feminine touch to our family photographs! (Photo below is © Tamarie Photography - Do no copy w/o permission.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Party {Supergirl Theme} {Soup Theme}

Our youngest celebrated her first birthday last week.  When planning her party we decided we wanted to have a soup party, which we would call 'SOUPer.'  The Supergirl theme was then born from that.  It turned out to be pretty fun.

The food was yummy!  We offered five kinds of soup which we kept warm in crock pots.  To accompany the soup, we had nine varieties of bread, plus oyster crackers, goldfish crackers, bread sticks, and a cracker/cheese tray.  We also put out some veggies and dip. We had Stormy Day Ham Bean Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Rivel Soup, Black Bean Soup, and Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup.



Aside from your usual party beverages (all non-alcoholic - we were in a church!), I got to use my brand new Crate & Barrel drink dispenser for a tasty punch.  I got that recipe from Pinterest.  I'll be honest; the only reason we had punch was so I could use my drink dispenser!



My husband made the big cake and the smash cake.  Thanks to my brother and his wife …

Polka Dot Birthday

When we switched my daughter from Pampers to Target diapers, she was quite pleased. She'd run around yelling "Polka dot diapy!" So we figured that would be a fun (and easy!) birthday party theme. It was!

We started with the invitations. I love Evite. It is free, saves on postage, allows immediate RSVP options, and even lets the sender know when guests have viewed the invitation. Even better they had a birthday invite with a polka dot background! We thought up a fantastically literary poem about birthdays and polka dots and sent the invitation out.

Decorations were easy too. I bought $5 worth of poster board, found four dishes in different sized circles and started tracing. Cutting turned out to be the hard part. I had almost 100 circles when all was said and done and my hand was significantly cramped/blistered to prove it. We found perfect polka dot table clothes at Old Navy during their 30% weekend and my mom bought 3 dozen daisies in beautiful bright colors.…

DIY: T-Shirt Quilt

After I graduated from college, I made a t-shirt quilt with the t-shirts from my sorority.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I chose my shirts and some quilt fabric that matched to make the border.  I do love the way it turned out, but it was not without challenges.  I had no idea how to sew knit t-shirt material.  Despite what the picture shows (or doesn't!) most of the shirt squares are pulled in the corners.



My second attempt went much better!  I decided to make a quilt for my brother's birthday.  He's transplanted to Denver, and I always like to make him feel homesick nostalgic.  I bought a pattern from Maiden Jane.  I had several questions that she happily answered through e-mail.  Then I was off and sewing.  I completed the quilt with relative ease.  The final product was just what I imagined and I knew my brother would love it!


When I make the next quilt, I may merge the wonderful pattern I used this time with some of my favorite things about the first quilt I made…