Thursday, January 19, 2012

DIY: T-Shirt Quilt


After I graduated from college, I made a t-shirt quilt with the t-shirts from my sorority.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I chose my shirts and some quilt fabric that matched to make the border.  I do love the way it turned out, but it was not without challenges.  I had no idea how to sew knit t-shirt material.  Despite what the picture shows (or doesn't!) most of the shirt squares are pulled in the corners.



My second attempt went much better!  I decided to make a quilt for my brother's birthday.  He's transplanted to Denver, and I always like to make him feel homesick nostalgic.  I bought a pattern from Maiden Jane.  I had several questions that she happily answered through e-mail.  Then I was off and sewing.  I completed the quilt with relative ease.  The final product was just what I imagined and I knew my brother would love it!


When I make the next quilt, I may merge the wonderful pattern I used this time with some of my favorite things about the first quilt I made.  I do love the patchwork sashing of the sorority quilt.  And I have big plans to adapt the pattern to make quilts from the All Stars' baby clothes in a few years.



Have you ever tried a t-shirt quilt?

2 comments:

Jane Skoch said...

Sarah, First of all, thanks so much for sharing my pattern! Second, your first quilt looks great! (I bet you are a perfectionist like me.) Is the border made of quilt fabric and t shirt fabric? I think a combination of the two will be fantastic. I have also seen quilt fabric used in some of the squares.

Kuparstwn said...

Thanks Jane! Some of the t-shirts had cute logos on the front chest area. Since I was already doing squares, I just added those in. The rest is quilting fabric. I hope to try that again with my next one, but using all your measurements and the backing you suggest!