Friday, February 3, 2012

Birthday Party {Supergirl Theme} {Soup Theme}

Our youngest celebrated her first birthday last week.  When planning her party we decided we wanted to have a soup party, which we would call 'SOUPer.'  The Supergirl theme was then born from that.  It turned out to be pretty fun.

Soup Buffet
The food was yummy!  We offered five kinds of soup which we kept warm in crock pots.  To accompany the soup, we had nine varieties of bread, plus oyster crackers, goldfish crackers, bread sticks, and a cracker/cheese tray.  We also put out some veggies and dip. We had Stormy Day Ham Bean Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Rivel Soup, Black Bean Soup, and Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup.

Bread buffet


Aside from your usual party beverages (all non-alcoholic - we were in a church!), I got to use my brand new Crate & Barrel drink dispenser for a tasty punch.  I got that recipe from Pinterest.  I'll be honest; the only reason we had punch was so I could use my drink dispenser!



My husband made the big cake and the smash cake.  Thanks to my brother and his wife for saving the day (and party) by rushing to our house to transport the cake.  I think my husband had high hopes for the big cake, but we just ran out of time!  The smash cake was adorable with pink and yellow super symbols all over it!


We went light on decorations this time.  I made a birthday banner for Miss Paige and we had four balloons that we tied to the high chair.  The rest of our decorations were comprised of the tableclothes in purple, pink, and yellow, plus coordinating plates, cups, and napkins.  I actually thought it was perfect!  The colors were very vibrant and cheery and stood out in the large white room we were in.  We also had a coloring station with Supergirl, Superman, and Superdog printables.


As always I feel the need to extend the theme into our clothing.  The four of us wore Supergirl/man shirts.  Johnny actually had a white button down over his shirt a la Clark Kent, which was funny, but I don't think anyone got it.  Paige also wore a tutu which I made for her.



All in all this was probably my favorite party to plan (my favorite theme remains the polka dots though!).  It was easy and fun.  However, we would NOT do a soup party on our own again.  It is one of my favorite ideas for a potluck, but even with help from my mom and grandma, I was completely overwhelmed.  I made three varieties of soup myself.  It was time consuming and not easy to transport.  The cake suffered because I took over the kitchen.  The only other drawback to the party was that it never once occurred to me to include my favorite ice cream - Superman.  My dad, brother, and I are all kind of obsessed with it.  I can't believe none of us ever thought to include it!  Let's be honest, it would have been perfect!!

Thank you to everyone who helped to put the All Star 2's First Birthday Party in a league of its own!

3 comments:

Leadfoot said...

SO CUTE! You are so talented. Remember when we were little and our moms would make spaghetti for everyone and a cake and we'd just all go in the backyard and sit at a picnic table? We never had decorations or themes! I'm sure our kids are happy we are so crafty!

Sourire11 said...

Super cute!!!! I found your blog through the Poise in Parma cleveland blogs post and I think we have a ton in common... similar aged kids, both into crafty things, both love a good drink dispenser... anyways it's nice to "meet" you!

andrea said...

SO CUTE!!!!