Skip to main content

Four Creative Ways to Wrap Gift Cards

My nieces and nephews are all at the age where they prefer to receive gift cards or money for any gift giving situation. I completely understand this, but my kids are still little so my husband and I continue to enjoy shopping for actual gifts. Anyway, for Christmas, my husband and I thought it would be really funny if we got them the gift cards they wanted, but then we wrapped them all up in funny ways. You know, so everyone else could enjoy it too.

Gift one. 8 year old nephew got a Toys R Us gift card in a teddy bear.
Difficulty level for you: Easy
Difficulty level for them: Mildly entertaining

1) Locate a bear or other stuffed animal headed for donation.
2) Cut an opening right along the seam on the back of the bear.
3) Shove gift card in the bear. Be sure to surround it with stuffing so it isn't immediately noticeable.
4) Sew the seam back up.



Gift two. 11 year old niece got a Macy's gift card in a big old ball of Saran Wrap.
Difficulty level for you: Easy
Difficulty level for them: Time-consuming and sweat-inducing

1) Tape a small ball of clear plastic wrap on each side of your gift card (so you don't end up with a rhombohedron* like I did).
2) Begin wrapping your gift card ball while turning item every which direction.
3) Make sure to cut the plastic wrap every three feet or so. Then begin with a new piece. This is slightly more time consuming, but otherwise, they are just going to unwind the whole thing in one fell swoop. And what fun is that for you?


Gift three. 12 year old nephew got a Game Stop gift card in a super-glued music box.
Difficulty level for you: Super Easy
Difficulty level for them: Disappointingly easy

1) Find the most childish and girly music box you can.
2) Place gift card inside.
3) Superglue the edges and close.
4) Allow to dry.


Gift four. 16 year old niece got a gift card to Forever 21 in a block of ice.
Difficulty level for you: Moderate (for time)
Difficulty level for them: Patience-trying and may cause bursts of ingenuity or creativity

1) Get a large plastic tub. We used a 5 gallon tub that previously housed ice cream. It was sturdy and had a handle.
2) Fill half way with water.
3) Freeze.
4) Carve out a little slot for your gift card to stand in so it doesn't slosh around.
5) Fill remainder with water.
6) Freeze.
*7) It was unseasonably warm here at Christmas, so we wrapped it in one of those plastic gift bags meant for a bicycle. It did start to melt, so this was a good choice. If it had been our normal mid-20s, we would have wrapped normally and left it outside until unwrapping time.


By far the hardest to get into was the Saran Wrapped gift card. She really had to work at it and even recruited the younger cousins for help. The easiest was the music box. The bear was entertaining simply because they just decided to tear it limb from limb to get it open.  Our oldest niece got tired of waiting for the ice to melt, so she hunted down a hair dryer and triumphantly came to us declaring victory. Hours after we opened presents.

All in all, this was fantastic fun (for us). We will be spending the next 10 1/2 months thinking up even better ideas for 2016's Christmas gift card requests!

* A rhombohedron is the name for a 3D rhombus. Now you're one word smarter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Party {Supergirl Theme} {Soup Theme}

Our youngest celebrated her first birthday last week.  When planning her party we decided we wanted to have a soup party, which we would call 'SOUPer.'  The Supergirl theme was then born from that.  It turned out to be pretty fun.

The food was yummy!  We offered five kinds of soup which we kept warm in crock pots.  To accompany the soup, we had nine varieties of bread, plus oyster crackers, goldfish crackers, bread sticks, and a cracker/cheese tray.  We also put out some veggies and dip. We had Stormy Day Ham Bean Soup, Spaghetti and Meatball Soup, Rivel Soup, Black Bean Soup, and Panera Cream Cheese Potato Soup.



Aside from your usual party beverages (all non-alcoholic - we were in a church!), I got to use my brand new Crate & Barrel drink dispenser for a tasty punch.  I got that recipe from Pinterest.  I'll be honest; the only reason we had punch was so I could use my drink dispenser!



My husband made the big cake and the smash cake.  Thanks to my brother and his wife …

Polka Dot Birthday

When we switched my daughter from Pampers to Target diapers, she was quite pleased. She'd run around yelling "Polka dot diapy!" So we figured that would be a fun (and easy!) birthday party theme. It was!

We started with the invitations. I love Evite. It is free, saves on postage, allows immediate RSVP options, and even lets the sender know when guests have viewed the invitation. Even better they had a birthday invite with a polka dot background! We thought up a fantastically literary poem about birthdays and polka dots and sent the invitation out.

Decorations were easy too. I bought $5 worth of poster board, found four dishes in different sized circles and started tracing. Cutting turned out to be the hard part. I had almost 100 circles when all was said and done and my hand was significantly cramped/blistered to prove it. We found perfect polka dot table clothes at Old Navy during their 30% weekend and my mom bought 3 dozen daisies in beautiful bright colors.…

DIY: T-Shirt Quilt

After I graduated from college, I made a t-shirt quilt with the t-shirts from my sorority.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I chose my shirts and some quilt fabric that matched to make the border.  I do love the way it turned out, but it was not without challenges.  I had no idea how to sew knit t-shirt material.  Despite what the picture shows (or doesn't!) most of the shirt squares are pulled in the corners.



My second attempt went much better!  I decided to make a quilt for my brother's birthday.  He's transplanted to Denver, and I always like to make him feel homesick nostalgic.  I bought a pattern from Maiden Jane.  I had several questions that she happily answered through e-mail.  Then I was off and sewing.  I completed the quilt with relative ease.  The final product was just what I imagined and I knew my brother would love it!


When I make the next quilt, I may merge the wonderful pattern I used this time with some of my favorite things about the first quilt I made…